M5 Skipper Dave Wells says: "This season Stevenage 5s have beaten almost every team in their league, and conceded only 8 goals in 10 games. This week the 5s drew 1-1 against the 6s (scorer D.Wells ably assisted by R.McGavigan)." And M6 Skipper Dave Woolley says: "Well what can I say an excellent game after reforming the defence last week we seem to be defending a lot better and held the 5's out of the D more this time that and some excellent saves by our goalkeeper Pete Dixon. The 5's managed to break through our defence half way through the first half and scored. But the 6's seem to be getting it together a bit now and with the help of some quality mid field players which helped with our younger players being able to recieve and move the ball on more. We kept them at bay in the second half with much the same play and with a late short corner put one past the 5's bringing the score to 1-1 the best result for the 6's to date well done all."  M5 stay in second spot in the division on goal difference: M6 stay firmly rooted to the bottom.

Our pictures show M6 hero Pete out of his cage to thwart another M5 raid from Richard and Dave, and Martin Nevill poised for a powerful shot on goal as M5 pressed to extend their lead before Freddie's last minute penalty corner strike.



Herts league
Blueharts II - 1  Stevanage - 4 (Rebecca 2, Mitchell 2)
On a very cold and windy morning the team turned up at Blueharts with just the bare 7 players. After a fast start Blueharts counter attacked and opened the scoring on their first attempt, however Stevenage soon had a counter of their own with Rebecca scoring. The rest of the half was end to end with some good defending especially Lilly, Anand and Marcus making some excellent saves and clearances. In the second half Stevenage continued to defend superbly with Marcus dominating the D and they used the width a little bit more with Mitchell pushed up and he twice got the ball and was able to attack and score. Stevenage's final goal came after Evelyn passed the ball to Mitchell who's shot hit the post and Rebecca cleared it up.
Friendly Game
Blueharts III - 0  Stevenage - 7 (Geoff lost track!)
Due to an excess of Juniors for Blueharts they have a 3rd team not entered in the league. Brimming with confidence at wining the first game despite being tired Stevenage dominated the game, where both teams played with 7 outfield players and no goalkeeper. 


East London M1 – 3  Stevenage M1 – 4  (Gary Brown 2, Danny Blackburn, Ben Oliver)
Stevenage travelled to East London on Saturday hoping to continue their rise up the table towards the automatic promotion spots.
John Mould took a strong side to London and from the start the tactics were obvious, put their opponents under pressure and attack.  Stevenage had some early chances but it was the home side who took the lead. A quick counter attack resulted in a cruel deflection off Stevie Hamid which wrong footed keeper Dave Church giving him no chance to prevent the ball flying in the net.
Mould then broke down the right wing after a great ball from Jon Oliver, his square pass found Gary Brown who fired home from close range to equalise. Both sides then had their chances to take the lead Church made some good saves and at the other end Strickland saw an effort well saved.
East London took the lead on half time which seemed harsh on the visitors who in the build up to the goal looked to have had Graves fouled but to the astonishment of the Stevenage players went unnoticed by the officials.
In the second half Stevenage flew out of the blocks with Hamilton having the first real chance but his effort hit the post. Hamilton then won a penalty corner which Gary Brown fired home to equalise.
It wasn’t long before Stevenage took the lead when a mix up in the East London defence allowed Ben Oliver to intercept and cross for Danny Blackburn to fire home and give the visitors a well worked and deserved lead.  Paul Graves then almost set Blackburn up with another but this time the keeper denied him.  Graham Swinyard then stormed up the field after a great interception, he put a great through ball to Mould but his effort then hit the side netting.  The home side then had a string of penalty corners which somehow Stevenage managed to keep out! Matt Oliver then set brother Ben on his way, he ran half the length of the pitch before firing home to give Stevenage a crucial two goal lead.  The last few minutes of the game produced a barrage of attacks from the home side and eventually they got their third goal which resulted in a scrappy and nervy last few minutes as Stevenage held on for another crucial three points in the battle for promotion.

M2 Won: Bedford - 0  Stevenage - 2 (Andy Gardner 2)
This week was a cracker for the neutral. The four teams holding the top four positions in the league faced off. Stevenage 2s played Bedford, a team that has struggled on some weeks but has absolutely dominated on others so Stevenage approached the game with apprehension but a clear goal in mind.
The tactics were immediately thrown out the window as regular striker Oliver Holt pulled a hamstring and limped off after less than 10 minutes, leaving the only sub, Tom Wharton, to come on and play the rest of the game, which was more time on the pitch in one game that the injury ridden captain had mustered all season.
The first half ended 0-0 with Stevenage feeling a drop lucky not to be behind and Bedford smelling a chance to impose a home victory. However that was not to be. The second half was totally different, with Bedford’s only chances coming from short corners, but due to some exquisite defence from Chris Perry keeper Zamo was rarely used and stood ground well to give another clean sheet.
The Stevenage first goal came from a superbly worked short corner where Andy Blaxill draw the entire defence as he took aim only to slip the ball left to the awaiting Andrew Gardner who scored Olly Holt style top left with a drag flick.
The second goal came courtesy of a penalty flick that was awarded after a goal bound shot from Chris Watson was prevented from going in by a defenders leg. Andrew Gardner took aim and produced one of the worse flicks to ever go – however it went it so it’s a good flick! Fortunately for him and Stevenage the goal keeper had dived to the left leaving the centre of the goal open so when the ball gingerly floated through the air centre of the goal at stomach level the keeper was nowhere. The quote of the day was heard by all as Andrew Gardner took ironic applause for his efforts: “that was lucky”. The second goal was lucky but Stevenage continued to dominate that half and did deserve the win and the clean sheet.

M3 Won:  Stevenage - 4 (Bailey Dingley 2, Niall Anderson, Steve Scholes) West Herts - 3, M3 going 6 points clear of their opponents in second place just one point behind division leaders M2.
M4 Lost:  Stevenage - 2 (Ian Brown, Harp Mann)  Luton - 5
M5 Drew with M6:  M5 - 1 (Dave Wells)  M6 - 1 (Freddie Stirling Brown)

L1 Won:  Stevenage - 3  Welwyn Garden City - 2, coming back from two goals down at half-time against the bottom club
L2 Lost:  Luton - 4  Stevenage - 1 (Nicki Reynolds)
L2 Drew:  Broxbourne - 2  Stevenage - 2 (Theresa Luciani)
L4 Lost:  Stevenage - 1 (Vicky Marquis)  Luton - 3
L5 Lost:  Stevenage  - 0  Milton Keynes - 1


M4 Won:  Stevenage - 4  (Niall Anderson, Matt Oliver, Bailey Dingley 2)  St Albans - 0   Stevenage Mens threes moved to top spot in the league with a convincing win over St Albans this week.
The home side started much the stronger team, creating chances early on with some good link up play. It wasn't long before The home side took the lead with Nick Crocker playing a quick ball through to Niall Anderson at the top of the D, he managed to round a couple of defenders before slipping it past the advancing keeper.
The home team were two up shortly after with Matt Oliver taking advantage of a break down in the D to slot the ball into the bottom corner from a tight angle. The first half followed much the same pattern with Stevenage's defence rarely being troubled and good linkup between the midfield continuing to trouble the away teams keeper.
The second half started the same as the first and Stevenage were three up after Anderson took the ball down the right and pulled it back for Bailey Dingley to slot home into an empty goal.
A umpiring decision cost Stevenage their 4th after Anderson was adjudged to have used the back of his stick to deflect in a Tufty Barlow effort.
It wasn't long however before Dingley grabbed his second of the game finishing another  good team move down right wing to end any hopes the visitors had.
The home team continued to push forward which allowed St Albans their first real chance of the game however Damien Nowopolski did well to get down low to save.
A really solid performance from the whole team this week leaves the Mens threes top of the league over the winter break.
Man of the match could have gone to a few but Niall Anderson took it for his tireless performance up front, two assists and a goal.

M5 Lost:  Luton - 5 Stevenage - 1 (Sam Hobbs) Still bruised from last week's match, Stevenage 5s ran into difficulties away in Luton, ending their recent run of good form. Confused by the 'unusual' new pitch, the 5s usual dominant style proved ineffective against a youthful Luton side, who attacked in threes up the wings, making use of their knowledge of the pitch with short, triangular movements in complete contrast to Stevenage's long passes, which were slowed down and intercepted over and over again.
Having conceded two goals, Stevenage finally scored before half-time, Sam Hobbs making use of a short corner to give the visitors some hope.
In the second half, Stevenage came out much stronger for the first ten minutes, making use of accurate, short passes to break through the home defence. However, despite numerous compelling attempts, usually ending in their captain falling over or hitting the crossbar, Stevenage failed to successfully finish any more attacks, whilst Luton exploited a further three opportunities to score.
A tricky fixture on an even trickier pitch - the 5s will certainly be looking forward to seeing Luton again soon on home territory.

Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2017 Stevenage Hockey Club | Powered by mojoPortal | HTML 5 | CSS | Design by styleshout