Bishops Stortford M2 - 3   Stevenage M1 - 2   

Stevenage were entertained by Bishops Stortford on Saturday in a fiesty league encounter.
The Home side had the early possession as expected and played the ball around the pitch but with no real threat to the Stevenage goal.  Stevenage were having trouble getting control of the ball and when they did the Stortford players were quick to throw in the challenges and put the Stevenage players under pressure. Half way through the first half Gary Brown hit a perfect pass to Ben Oliver who ran through on goal and calmly slotted his shot past the oncoming keeper to give the visitors a surprise half time lead.
In the second half Stevenage started the better and were 2-0 up when John Mould went on a solo run and fired home past the stationary Stortford keeper with precision.
A moment later it looked to be 3-0 when Danny Blackburn fired home, the umpire gave the goal at first then amazingly reversed his decision and disallowed the strike.
This decision seemed to put the visitors in disarray and Stortford went on a swift attack and scored with a good finish to make it 2-1.  The home side smelt blood and started to exert more pressure on Stevenage with Dingley making some saves and Scholes clearing one effort off the goal line. Stortford then won a penalty corner from which the resulting strike unkindly deflected off Whartons stick and trickled over the goal line to make it 2-2.
Strickland then got carded as his enthusiasm got the better of him. Both sides had chances to win the game with Oliver having the best chance for Stevenage. Late on Stortford won another penalty corner and struck home their winner which seemed harsh on a plucky Stevenage team who battled hard and felt decisions went against them.

Stevenage M2 - 4    Royston M2 - 1

The Men's 2nd XI continued their strong climb by slotting 4 goals past the Blacks this weekend and keeping at the top of the Goals For in the league. Stevenage looked a little unsure of how to pick up the ball effectively in the first 15 minutes, allowing Royston to push hard, but a runaway goal from Mitch Snares (right), hitting it ferociously across the keeper almost from the backline, gave the visitors pause to think. The game was raised by Stevenage, but was still loose. Passes missed their mark, aerials were thrown too hastily. The half time break came just in time, as Stevenage needed to regroup and think the strategy through. It paid off.
Some unselfish work from a rampant Ryall Swartz gifted Dan Farnan with a easy push into the goal. A slight lapse in concentration then saw a penalty corner awarded against Stevenage. Having failed to hit the target several times already, Royston took advantage of this error and made it 2-1, much to the annoyance of the dominant back 4 of Callum, Michiel, Dan Parker and Andy Gardner. Not satisfied to let this slur on the defence sit, Mitch again pushed forward to the back post to receive a pass from Ryall for an easy push onto the backboard (though why Ryall didn't score himself is a mystery!). The score could have been much more as nine penalty corners to Stevenage went unconverted, but this may have been due to the fact that skipper James Hamilton (right) was sitting on the sub's bench for every single one. It was left to young Farnan to seal the game, clearly enjoying playing with his new stick. Some great teamwork from Olly, Geoff, Terry, Chris Watson, Jon Oliver and of course goalie Dave Church meant this win will be treasured over the Christmas break.

Stevenage M3 - no game this week

Stevenage M4 - 1   Southgate Adelaide M2 - 6

A strong southgate side opened the scoring in the first minute then had Stevenage on the back foot for the rest of the half. 3 - 0 at half time Stevenage started the second half well and were rewarded when Bailey Dingley flicked the ball in after a well timed run. Southgate soaked up the pressure then took control again with three more goals late on.

Letchworth M6 - 2    Stevenage M5 - 2

Stevenage Mens 5s faced Letchworth 6s on Saturday – a fairly experienced, mature team that provided a tough, yet evenly matched battle. As usual, Stevenage hit the ground running, with some well coordinated attacks, let down by some unfortunate errors in finishing, and then left a gap in defence through which Letchworth managed to squeeze an early goal. After several counter attacks, Stevenage finally managed to pull back a goal shortly before half time, thanks to a beautiful lob over the keeper from Zach Shaw. After the break, a transformed Letchworth appeared, marking much more tightly, and suppressing Stevenage’s attempts to break – despite this, right wing David Spicer managed to slot in a goal, putting Stevenage on top at 2-1. However, shortly afterwards Letchworth managed to find the equaliser, and the tiring home side couldn’t quite find the energy for one more comprehensive attacking spell.
Overall a good solid performance, particularly given the three week break from hockey caused by the weather, and a good base from which to face this week’s local derby against Stevenage 6s.

Hertford M4  - 1     Stevenage M6 - 2 (non-league)

The men's 6 team all work extremely hard. Hertford pushed hard early on managing to squeeze between the defence striking the ball in the D which goalkeeper Daniel Dove narrowly missed saving in the bottom left hand corner. We then kept the pressure on in a fairly evenly balanced game and eventually scored via Kevin Wharton bringing the first half to 1 all. The second half was pretty much the same as the first evenly fought by both teams  with good all round efforts by  Stevenage but then in the later part of this half a long ball struck by Seb nearly
all the way down the middle of the pitch to Kevin Wharton who then hit the ball which was deflected in to the goal by Hertford bring it to 2 -1 to Stevenage, the game continued with good chances at both ends and one particularly good save from Daniel Dove the kept game 2-1 to Stevenage.

Welwyn Garden City L1 - 3   Stevenage L1 - 2

Stevenage got off to a slow start with Welwyn constantly breaking stevenage went 1-0 down the away side then picked up the pace and Carly Seaton managed to get a touch from a scrappy short corner to get a goal back, Jude Weston made some great runs with the ball down the wing but Stevenage just couldn't convert. With Welwyn scoring again the pressure was now on for stevenage. Carly Seaton again scoring from a short corner set up by Debbi Church. Half time saw end to end hockey but Stevenage didn't have it in them to keep Welwyn out and they scored again.

Stevenage L2 - 0     Luton L2 - 4

The depleted home side suffered a surprise defeat to the division bottom side handing them their first point of the season

Broxbourne L4 - 1     Stevenage L3 - 2

An early goal from Holly O'Connor gave the visitors the lead against their higher placed rivals but they conceded an equaliser before half time. The winner came from a penalty corner routine in which Nikki Reynolds found Emma Houlihan who lifted the ball high into the net.

Luton L3 - 0     Stevenage L4 - 3

Two goals from Genna Telfer and one from Kate Grierson gave the visitors a much needed win to take them to the winter break in mid table.

Stevenage L5 - no game this week

Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2017 Stevenage Hockey Club | Powered by mojoPortal | HTML 5 | CSS | Design by styleshout