Stevenage M1 - 7    Vauxhall M1 - 3
Stevenage continued their rise up the Division 2 table and their 100% 2011 record with a 7-3 victory against Vauxhall on Saturday.
The game started for both sides cautiously and quite even.  There wasn't many early oportunities for either side the best for Stevenage falling to Ben Oliver whose effort went just over the bar. The game did eventually liven up with challenges flying in and the mood getting a little spicy Blackburn got a booking for a typical challenge before two Vauxhall players and Stevenage skipper Mould got sin-binned.  Strickland made a impressive run and won his side a penalty corner from which Andy Blaxill fired home to make it 1-0 to the leagues in form side.
Jon Oliver and Brown were working well down the central midfield positions creating opportunities for the likes of Ben Oliver, Strickland, Blackburn and Mould, Vauxhall were being stretched and after Swinyard won another penalty corner for Stevenage Blaxill stepped up to fire in his second and give Stevenage a 2-0 half time lead.
The second half was very open with both sides firing on all cylinders.  Tim Dingley made some fine saves and James Hamilton made some crucial challenges to keep the visitors at bay before Ben Oliver set up Gary Brown to fire home a third goal for Stevenage and give them a 3-0 lead. This seemed to create an air of complacency in the Stevenage ranks and Vauxhall piled on an enormous amount of pressure on the Stevenage goal which resulted in two goals in quick succession for the visitors. At 3-2 it was game on and both sides continued to attack with flair and pace.  John Mould then drove forward and crossed for Danny Blackburn to score a crucial fourth goal which gave the home side some breathing space.  A moment later it was five when Strickland released Gary Brown to score with a well struck shot. Vauxhall still pushed forward and their pressure resulted in a third goal for them making the score 5-3. Dingley then made a good double save before Matt Oliver cleared off the goalline.
Stevenage then made a quick counter attack when Ben Oliver found Blackburn who drew the keeper to slip to Brown who secured his hat-trick with a open goal at his mercy.
At 6-3 Stevenage continued to push forward and made it 7 when Jon Oliver fired a ball in for Stevenage's number 7  Blackburn to deflect home.  The game was marred by some ugly scenes near the end when a Blackburn challenge resulted in several players from both sides confronting each other which resulted in one Vauxhall forward being red carded.
Late on Mould hit the post and Strickland was unable to convert the rebound but again another impressive performance from the Stevenage side.

Stevenage M2 - 5   Stevenage M3 - 2

This weekend saw the return fixture of the mens 2nd XI and the mens 3rd XI.  In a typically feisty encounter for an interclub game, the 2nd XI started the brighter, passing quickly and running quicker still. 
Indeed, it was whilst a speedy Dan Farnan was chasing a ball down the pitch that Seb Rose was adjudged to have intimidated the young forward, giving away a penalty corner.  The ball was passed out to Ollie Holt at the top of the D, only for him to pull the ball off the floor and into the top of the goal.  Another goal from Holt went in before the break, with some quality defending from Michiel van Rooijen, Tom Shearn, Callum Matthews, Stephen Hamid and Dave Church stopping the endeavors of a strong line up of Nico, Tufty and Pinger.  Geoff Trew, Tom Wharton and Andy Gardner were all strong in holding back the midfield advances, especially from the quick youngsters Zac Shaw, Chris Hall and Jack Neville.
The second half continued like the first, with the 2s putting another goal in, this time from Chris Watson.  The 3s stepped up the pressure, getting into the 2s D and forcing a penalty flick, which Tony Farnan dispatched with confidence.  This only drove the 2s to greater efforts and Holt completing his hat-trick.  Shearn could have made it five at this point when he missed a perfectly set up chance by Mitch Snares, but strong defending by Rose saw it off the line.  The 3s countered again and won a short corner.  Pinger hit the ball straight down the middle of the goal, bringing the score to 4-2.  Watson scored another and could have had a hat-trick of his own, but decided on a death or glory shot which sailed high into the air.  A fair fight of a game leaves the 2s second in the league, facing West Herts next week in a six point encounter.

Welwyn Garden City M4 - 2  Stevenage M4 - 1 

Stevenage started the game well and had much of the early pressure. Only some good defending from Welwyn kept the score even. Welwyn took the lead mid way through the first half after having some prolonged possession. Stevenage continued to press but were thwarted by the Welwyn keeper, who made a string of fine saves. including a diving effort to keep out a goal bound shot from Khalid Mahmood. The first half ended with Skipper Simon Russell wasting a glorious chance from a short corner.
The second half started with Welwyn in control and they went further ahead with a controversial goal that saw the Stevenage skipper yellow carded for arguing with the home umpire. Stevenage pulled a goal back after Tom Woolley found an unmarked Simon Russell in the dee, who squared the ball for Andrew Davies to finish from the far post. Welwyn were soon down to 10 men after an apparent bad stick tackle. But soon after Tom Woolley saw Yellow for dissent. Stevenage could not find another goal and the game ended in victory for the home side. The home umpire showed his fourth yellow card of the day to Khalid after the final whistle for dissent.

Potters Bar M3 - 5  Stevenage M5 - 2

Stevenage faced a strong, pacey Potters Bar [Simmo wasn't playing then? ... Ed] in a hard fought and often physical game on Saturday. Bar came out fighting from the start, scoring in the first few minutes. However, Stevenage found their feet and fought back, young Sam Hobbs scoring a fine goal to even the score. After Bar managed to retaliate with another goal, some flowing passes led to a freakish reverse-stick shot from captain Dave Wells, bringing the score to 2-2 at half-time. Despite having the wind behind them, Stevenage struggled with finishing in the second half, and between attacks, Bar managed to slot in a further three goals, two of them somewhat controversially after a slip-up in the Stevenage defence. Once again frustration for a lively Stevenage side desperately seeking points, but overall an exciting and evenly matched game. 

Stevenage M6 - 0  Berhamsted M4 - 6

Yet again all the home side had to offer was effort, and when David Hamid's defensive fortitude was lost to injury they crumbled from a one goal deficit at half-time to a score-line that more accurately reflected the balance of play. Now heads must be lifted for a visit to Hertford where a result is possible.

Chelmsford L2 - 2  Stevenage L1 - 2

Taking time to get used to the pitch, Stevenage conceded an early goal that put them at a disadvantage in this crucial game.  Stevenage pressurised looking for the equaliser and player of the match Kate Murray was unlucky not to score with an impressive reverse stick shot.  Minutes later Kate found herself through on goal again and scored to make it 1-1.  Shortly before half-time Chelmsford made it 2-1 from a short corner despite some fantastic saves from Lisa Pickard.  After an inspirational Churchill-like half time speech from coach Digger Graves, Stevenage came out strongly but Chelmsford broke and won a short corner that was saved on the line by Hils Siddall.  A flick was harshly awarded for an earlier offence but Lisa made another fine save to deny them.  Stevenage continued to press and, thinking on her feet, Kate took her free hit early, ran into the D and powered home the well-deserved equaliser.

Bishops Stortford L3 - 2  Stevenage L2 - 0
Stevenage L3 - 0  Saffron Walden L3 - 5
Blueharts L3 - 3  Stevenage L4 - 1, goal scored by Becky O'Connor.


Wapping M2 - 5  Stevenage M1 - 0

Stevenage took a very understrength team to Wapping on Saturday and saw their 100% winning start to 2011 come to an end.
Stevenage were always going to be in for a tough day against one of the leagues in form and most impressive teams.  The home side looked impressive from the start spreadin g the play all over the field and creating a great deal of openings.  Stevenage defended valiantly and recieved no respite with Wapping patiently waiting for that crucial mistake to be made. The inevitable happened after 15 minutes when a home forwards strike unkindly deflected off a Stevenage player and in  to the beckoning net. This opened the flood gates and by half time it was 4-0 to the home side, which was a bit unkind on the visitors who had worked so hard.
In the second half Stevenage played with courage and determination to try and get back in the game. Wapping were a class act and whenever Stevenage tried to break the home side got players behind the ball and made it impossible for Mould's men to gain any momentum. Wapping grabbed a fifth halfway through the second half with a well worked goal and that is how the score stayed.  Stevenage can take credit from their hearty second half performance and the debut of young Zac Shaw who ran all game, however will hope to have their missing players back for next weeks double header of matches against East London and Plashet respectively.

West Herts M4 - 3  Stevenage M2 - 1

Stevenage Men's 2nd XI looked a tad lacking in energy in this week's 6-point game.  West Herts always seemed the brighter, taking fast free hits and attacking in numbers.  By half time it was 2-1, with Chris Watson having received his first yellow card of the season.  It was a smooth attacking move that saw Stevenage score their goal, with Mitch Snares dictating the play all down the right hand side, for the ball to be swept across the D to a waiting Bailey Dingley on the back post.
It may be due to the 2s lacking regular playmaker Ollie Holt or central rock James Hamilton, or that left back Tom Shearn was pulled up to the 1s along with Andy Gardner, but Stevenage seemed to miss that something that has been present for most of the season.  Chris Perry and Bailey did an admirable job in covering these absences, but the service wasn't quite getting to the front line, frustrating Dan Farnan, but even more so Watson, who received his second yellow of the game.  A reticent 2nd XI left Watford feeling they could have acheived more.  

Stevenage M3 - 0  Luton M2 - 2

Yet another poor 1st half performance cost us the result. With as many as 5 changes to the team it took us most of the first half to get some rhythm to our game, but by then we were already 2 – 0 down. The second half we were more solid and stronger which result in long period of attacks from the home side with Luton happy to clear their lines. The closest we came to a goal was from a flick which went narrowly wide.

Stevenage M4 - 1   Vauxhall M2 - 2

A goal from Paul Graves was not quite enough to take something from a match against the runaway league leaders with a side lacking influential skipper Simon Russell, but a brave performance nonetheless.

Stevenage M5 - 4   Rickmansworth M4 - 1 (Friendly)

The 5s finally broke their recent run of losses on Saturday, with a win against a young Rickmansworth side. For the first 15 minutes, Stevenage looked very convincing, with goals from Sam Hobbs, Michael Tyler and Dave Wells, before losing shape and energy to finish the first half 3-0. The second half of the game saw a mildly improved home side score one further goal (Dave Wells) before Rickmansworth finally pulled 1 back to bring the final score to 4-1. The unusual, sweet taste of success was only soured for Stevenage after realising that the match had actually been a friendly, not a league game – the search for points continues…

Hertford M4 - 5   Stevenage M6 - 0

We started with just 9 men and held Hertford a bay for the first 15 minutes then we gained 2 men to make a full team but this seemed to unbalance us, We then conceded a  blaster from Hertford from just inside the D shortly followed by 2 more goals, In the second half we regrouped and held them off until late in they game when they scored 2 quick goals.

Stevenage L1 - 0   Waltham Forest - 0

It was an unlucky loss for Stevenage this week, Waltham Forest put the pressure on hard in the first 10mins but Stevenage got their shape and Kate Murray made some breaking runs with Jude Weston but just couldn't get it past the keeper.

Second half was end to end hockey, Debbie Church had a near miss with the ball shooting across the goal, Jude Weston then hit the post and a few scrambles in front of goal but the keeper was just to good.

Waltham Forest scored with a scrappy goal just rolling over the line, stevenage put all the pressure on Kate Murray had a great chance in front of goal but couldn't get the shot away. Lucy Harvey made some brilliant driving runs into the D.

Becky Graves made played some strong balls round the back and Stevenage tried everything to get it back but it wasn't enough this week.

Cheshunt L1 - 3  Stevenage L2 - 0  

The visitors were hoping for a win that would take them away from the relegation zone, but their run of poor form continued and they remain second from the foot of the table.

Stevenage L3 - 0  Broxbourne L5 - 0

Stevenage could not turn a greater amount of possession and higher number of penalty corners into the one goal that would have ensured the points and kept them in touch with the pack chasing Saffron Walden at the top of the table.

Stevenage L4 - 1  Welwyn Garden City L4 -1

Nikki Davies put the home side ahead but the visitors equalised in the second half and nearly grabbed a winner when a "goal" was ruled out following a conference with the officials.

Tring L4 - 18 (Eighteen) Stevenage L5 - 0

Bless them, went all the way to Tring for a 4.45pm god awful time for a push back and then this ......


M1 accelerated clear of the foot of the table and joined the leading teams with a fine pair of home wins over the weekend.

Stevenage M1 - 4   East London M1 - 2

Stevenage got back to winning ways on Saturday against East London and got off to the best possible start when after only a minute Matt Oliver went on a solo run and from the edge of the penalty area roofed the net with an unstoppable effort giving the home side the early advantage.  This early goal stunned the London side who looked in total disarray.  A few minutes later it was 2-0 when Ben Oliver received the ball from John Mould on the right, Oliver cut in and fired the ball home powerfully giving the visiting keeper no chance.  The home side were full of confidence now and creating plenty of chances with Gary Brown going the closest with a fine strike.
Tim  Wright then released Jon Oliver who crossed for Danny Blackburn to flick home over the advancing keeper to make it 3-0.
The home side then for some reason backed off the visitors and let them back in to the game.  Andy Blaxill was forced to clear off the line and Tim Dingley made two class saves to keep London out.
East London then won a short corner from which they made it 3-1 and began to grow in confidence. After a string of attacks East London made it 3-2 right on half time with another well worked short corner which gave Dingley no chance.
In the second half it was end to end stuff with both sides looking for the next crucial goal. Mould and Oliver were causing problems down the right with Blackburn and Strickland doing likewise down the left.  Jon Oliver was trying to pull the strings in the centre of the pitch and putting through some great through balls for the likes of Brown and Swinyard.  When London attacked Jason Miller and Tim Wright were making some fantastic hard challenges.
East London were reduced to ten men when Strickland was completely taken out while running down the wing. Then Justice for Strickland when a few moments later  Browns effort was saved only for Strickland to dive and reverse stick the ball home giving Stevenage the vital fourth goal.
There were still chances for both sides late on but Stevenage held out to get their 5th win in 6 matches.

Stevenage M1 - 4  Plashet M1 - 3 (played Sunday)

Stevenage’s  second match of the weekend produced a hockey classic in a game which had a bit of everything.  Plashet like their hosts were doing well in the league and looking for promotion, from the push back they went on the offensive and forced Dingley in to immediate action and a vital early save. Stevenage started the slower of the two teams and if it hadn’t been for some alert defensive moves from Wright and Miller could have found themselves in deep trouble.  The Plashet  side played some impressive hockey with flair and skill as did the home side with some great wing play from Mould and Oliver.  Strickland was getting alot of ball after good work from Miller and Blackburn on the left, on several occasions Strickland crossed some good balls for Brown and Jon Oliver but the Plashet keeper made some fine saves.  Gary Brown was unlucky not to win a penalty when he was upended in the area however nothing was given.  John Mould then won a penalty corner, Andy Blaxill stepped up and fired an unstoppable shot in to the goal to give Stevenage a 1-0 lead.  A few minutes later it was 2-0 when Strickland crossed for Danny Blackburn to get in behind the defence and deflect home with a clever finish.  Zac Shaw then combined well with Gary Brown but again his effort went just wide.  Plashet were causing Stevenage problems with their crafty stick work and pulled a goal back with a well worked move.  Just on half time like the previous day Plashet worked a quality short corner which gave Dingley no chance to equalise and make it 2-2 at the break.
The second half was just as eventful with both sides playing entertaining  hockey and looking for the win they both needed.  Jon Oliver was leading from the midfield and spreading the play around the park with Mould still causing problems down the right flank.  At the other end Miller was making some crucial crunching challenges and Wright and Blaxill were also in the thick of the action with fine tackles.
Stevenage then won a penalty flick which Ben Oliver saw saved by the visiting keeper before Blackburn had a goal disallowed from a well worked short corner.  Plashet’s impressive number 8 then went on a solo run and from an amazing angle at the edge of the penalty area fired an unstoppable thunderbolt which gave Dingley no chance and almost ripped the net off the goal. At 3-2 down and with the skill the visitors possessed Stevenage could be forgiven if they felt worried but to their credit they continued to push forward and felt they were still able to win the fixture.  Plashet almost made it four when their skipper got in behind the home defence but his effort went just wide.
The Stevenage equaliser came when Swinyard broke down the right and his perfect pass found an unmarked Danny Blackburn who picked his spot and fired the ball wide of the keeper and in to the net to make it 3-3.  Both sides pushed for the winner with Dingley making some good stops for Stevenage and Jon Oliver and John  Mould coming close for Stevenage.  Strickland and Swinyard then combined well to release Ben Oliver who this time made no mistake as he pushed the ball beyond the advancing Plashet keeper to make it 4-3.  Plashet then had a player sin-binned before Ben Oliver joined him for too much protesting. Both sides had played some tremendous hockey but at the whistle skipper Moulds men had recorded their sixth win in seven from a well fought match leaving them in a good league position after a very good weekend for Stevenage first team.

Stevenage M2 - 2   Letchworth M3 - 1

The Men's 2nd XI took on Letchworth in what ended in a bad tempered affair.  Both sides were unwilling to give any quarter, but Stevenage seemed to start the slower, showing a similar style of nervousness that dogged them last week.  Chances fell to both sides, but it was the visitors who took the lead with a short corner that appeared to confuse the Stevenage defence, leaving Terry Kingston to face a ball coming at him on the left post.  Frustrated by this, Stevenage could have stolen one back three minutes later, when a cross-come-shot by Andy Gardner was left by Bailey Dingley who thought it was already goalbound.  It passed harmlessly outside the post.
A team talk at half time by the injured skipper attempted to inject a little of the vitality back into the side as seen through the season. 
On field skipper Tom Wharton took this on board and geed the team into a faster start to the second half.  In a beautiful fast flowing move, Dan Farnan attacked, helped by a run from Olly Holt pulling the play, ending with a strong pass to Dingley to roof the ball and bring the game square.  Mitch Snares, Geoff Trew and Gardner stopped play coming down the left side, snuffing out the playmakers.  Callum Matthews made some strong runs down the right.  The last goal of the game came controversially, with Farnan beating a player then slipping the ball inside the back post past a keeper who had come too far.  The umpire was unsighted as Holt ran towards the ball as it was crossing the goal line and was seen to have kicked it by many of the Letchworth players.  The umpire immediately gave the goal, then checked with his colleague before calling the Stevenage on-field skipper to ask if it was a goal.

Harpenden M3 - 1  Stevenage M3 - 4

A much more familiar side saw the mens 3 take on the league leaders Harpenden away at Vauxhall…Right from the first whistle we were on the offensive with the returning Zeddy Wilcox and Nick Crocker creating chances for the forwards. Our first goal came from a swift break with a ball into to the D from Niall Anderson which was instantly controlled and despatched by the impressive Gary Fung . As the half went on Harpenden started to build pressure but their attacks were mainly snuffed out by some great defending from Digger Graves and Tony Farnan. As the half drew to a close Harpenden drew level from a well worked short corner.

The second half started much like the first , but this time we took our chances , our second of the game came from a trade mark short from Nico , Gary Fung picked up a second before Zac Shaw opened his account for the 3’s. A great team performance never really let Harpenden into the game. Despite the headlines being grabbed by the forwards the man of the match performance must go to Chris Perry who is maturing with every game his ability to defend and get forward to link up the play on the right is major plus for the team.

Royston M4 - 7  Stevenage M4 - 3

Two Royston sides are at the bottom of this division and both in danger of relegation, so the visitors should not have been too surprised to find themselves facing strong opposition. Two goals at the start and two near the end made all the difference for the home side, with Ian Brown scoring twice and skipper Simon Russell bagging the best goal of the game in a battling performance in between.

Letchworth M6 - 4  Stevenage M6 - 1

The goals against dried up when Captain Woolley left the fray at half-time

Hertford L3 - 2  Stevenage L3 - 5

A hat-trick for Nicki Reynolds and a brace for Detective Inspector Daisy Mould

Stevenage L5 - 0  Hertford L5 - 6

Three times better than last week


Ford M1 -  5  Stevenage M1  - 0

Stevenage travelled to second placed Ford in Dagenham on Saturday with six regular players missing.
The visitors were up against it from the word go as after only one minute Ford won a penalty stroke which gave them a 1-0 lead.  It was soon two when a cruelly deflected effort went in off a Stevenage defender. It was 3-0 before the break when again Ford won a penalty stroke and the flick gave Dingley no chance in the Stevenage goal.
In the second half Stevenage got more in to the game with Skipper Mould pushing his team forward from the back and Jon Oliver and Gary Brown trying to create openings for the forward line of Zac Shaw and Chris Strickland.  Stevenage hit the post when Blackburn's shot fired off it before Shaw crossed for Strickland who couldn't connect.
Ford then broke and after a fine piece of skill made it 4-0 with a perfectly executed finish.
Wharton and Blaxill were kept busy all afternoon at the back and Mould cleared off the goal line. It was soon 5-0 when again a skillful move down the Ford left ended up with their centre forward to score his third of the afternoon again with a stylish finish!
Stevenage pushed forward and probably deserved a goal with Blackburn and Brown coming close near the end however it wasnt to be their day and they will be hoping to return to winning ways next week at home to Saffron Walden.

Winchmore Hill & Enfield M2 - 3   Stevenage M2 - 5

The men's 2nd XI travelled to Winchmore Hill & Enfield with an under strength side due to call ups, suspensions, holidays and injuries. 
Starting the game with just 10 men (Terry Kingston was uncharacteristically late due to a mix up in vehicles), Stevenage had to set the field in a defensive formation, pulling Holt back into the inside position and leaving Dingley and Farnan as the two forwards. 
Despite this, some great build up play and fast work from Holt, Farnan and Dingley, Holt had made it 1-0 in the first two minutes, with Dingley setting him up.  Two minutes more and Farnan recieved a top class set up from Dingley to fire it home for 2-0.  Another three minutes pass and Holt again receives a pass from Dingley to finish clinically, 3-0.  Many of the WH&E players were questioning how a team of 10 players could be beating them so easily.  This wore off as the team in white started pressing and the extra man told.  On several occassions one forward or another was left, meaning by 30 minutes into the game they had made it 3-3.  34 minutes into the game and Kingston arrived.
An inspiring team talk by the skipper meant Stevenage again had belief in themselves.  It showed in the determination of Andy Gardner, Geoff Trew, Michiel van Rooijen, Chris Perry, Dave Church, Jack Neville and Callum Matthews to not let the opposition approach the goal, whilst Holt and Farnan harried their defence with terrifying pace and stick work. 
Farnan scored two more goals to gain his hat-trick and seal his place as man-of-the-match.  The 2s came away satisfied that on the day they can turn on the style, with a lot of the team still to come back.  Team selection will be pleasantly difficult.

Stevenage M3 - 4   Luton Vagrants M1 - 3

Another hard battle against a physical Luton side saw Stevenage take the points after trailing twice, the first half ended 2 a piece with the Stevenage goals coming from Gary Fung and Ian Wilcox.
The second half followed a similar pattern with Luton again taking the lead. Stevenage’s 3rd came from a short corner that was expertly despatched on the half volley by Gary Fung. Luton ill discipline lead to a red car before Ian Wilcox scored the goal of the game, A pin point pass from Nick Crocker found the on rushing Ian Wilcox who cracked the ball into the far corner. Stevenage held out the last 5 minutes without any real scares to continue their return to form.

Stevenage M4 - 2   Potters Bar M2 - 3

Potters Bar started off the stronger and were 2 nil up inside 15 minutes. Stevenage battled back and were rewarded when Ryall Swartz converted a penalty flick after Simon Russell goal bound shot was stopped by a defenders foot. Both teams continued to press but Potters Bar were thwarted by a string of fine saves from Digger Graves make his debut in goal. The second half started with bar extending their lead. the game opened up and both sides had chances. Bar had a goal disallowed for use of a foot. But it was Stevenage who pulled a goal back when Will Hammond found space at the top of the D and gave the keeper no chance with a powerful shot. But Stevenage couldn't find an equaliser and Bar finished the game the stronger.

West Herts M6 - 8   Stevenage M5 - 1

A Stevenage bare eleven faced a strong West Herts side in the driving rain of Watford, missing some key defensive players. Stevenage battled hard for the first 30 minutes, and the 0-3 score at half time was not really representative of the opportunities being worked by the away side. The second half saw a positive start, with a goal from Michael Tyler providing a glimmer of hope for Stevenage. However, the lack of subs and appalling weather took its toll, and Stevenage were unable to stop West Herts driving through the defence with a series of goals in quick succession.
A disappointing result for Stevenage, being their worst loss so far, although they will surely not be as frustrated as some of West Herts players must be only being picked for their 6th XI…

Stevenage M6 - 0   Cheshunt M3 - 4

A lively visiting side tested the home team in the first half without finding a way through, thanks in part to Damien Nowopiski in goal, but a late start to the game meant the keeper had to leave at half-time. Pressure continued in the second half but without a stopper there was no way it was going to be withstood.

Stevenage L1 - 6   Royston L1 - 1 (Friendly)

Good boost of confidence this week for Stevenage with a great start and lots of pressure on Royston. Carly Seaton got the first two, the second being stopped on the line with a foot and she managed to put the flick away. With poor defending Royston got one back. Kate Murray and Debbi Church got two before half time.

Stevenage carried on putting on the pressure, Royston stayed strong, Lisa Pickard kept them out with some outstanding saves. Lucy Harvey showed her skills but the Royston keeper kept her great shots out. Andrea Clark and Debbi Church put another two goals away.

Shefford & Sandy L3 - 2   Stevenage L2 - 2

Yet again Stevenage had the better of a game without finding a way to win it, and now find themselves in danger of relegation. A Heather Hemmings goal gave the visitors a well earned halftime lead but in the first minute of the second half Shefford equalised when a large gap appeared in the visiting defence. Hemmings restored the lead but the home side equalised and a frustrated Stevenage could not find a winner.

The ladies 2’s have found their game again and had a much better performance this week. Good play made throughout the field with everyone giving 100%. Sadly, a stick could not be found on the end of the several Thorpedoes that found their way into the “D” and often hitting the backboard. If points were given to the better team Stevenage would certainly have gained them but a result of 2-2 will have to do. 

Stevenage L3 - 4    Leighton Buzzard L3 - 3

After spending 20 minutes of the entire team attempting to de-puddle large areas of the JHN pitch with 2 kitchen brooms, a dust pan and lots of hockey sticks, the pitch was now playable and the ladies 3’s were officially warmed up.  The game against higher placed Leighton Buzzard was generally an even one for most of the game, the home side playing well as a team.  There were some excellent saves and water/mud slides from Keeper Vicky, and Andrea and well worked goals from Ros, Becky and Daisy, it was 3-3 then in the last few seconds the home team were awarded a short corner on the final whistle, after an awesome strike from Reynolds which caught the keepers pads and deflected, Emma Houlihan found the backboard, the final whistle went with 4 points for Stevenage. This was also a very welcome return game for new mum Caz, nice to have you back!

Tring L3 - 3   Stevenage L4 - 2 
Ladies 4’s visited top table Tring, Stevenage ladies played superbly against a youthful Tring side with lots of subs. A very even game all round, our ladies playing some great hockey, with goals from Becky O’Connor and Jo “Norfy” – approaching the final whistle it looked to be a 2-2 draw but then a goal from Tring in the last 20 seconds of the game gave them the points - a very unlucky (but still very decent) result.  We look forward to welcoming Tring for the home game this weekend coming…..

Broxbourne L6 - 7   Stevenage L5 - 0

L5 continued what seems to be an inevitable march to conceding 100 goals in the season despite being able to field only 8 players this week.

Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2017 Stevenage Hockey Club | Powered by mojoPortal | HTML 5 | CSS | Design by styleshout