Severe problems caused by ice on the roads north-east of London meant Plashet HC were stuck in traffic and could not make the important East League Division 2S clash at Nobel School on Saturday. The game will be re-scheduled.

Luton Town M2  1   Stevenage M2  1

The 2s took on Luton today in what should have been a game to win, with Luton only having 4 points up until now.  A sluggish display and what appeared to be an attempt to out-power Luton at their own style of game showed a lack of match practice over Christmas.  Some glimmers of the normal Stevenage display could be seen in some of the one-twos, particularly resulting in Dan Farnan's sixth league goal to take Stevenage 1-0 ahead.  Luton rarely pressured the Stevenage goal, whilst Stevenage seemed to have a lot of action in the home side's D without converting any more.  Bailey Dingley performed well in his first outing in this squad, showing some good ideas, but basic lack of playing together for the rest of the team showed in wayward passing and runs at wrong times.  Luton eventually got the draw 5 minutes before the end when Andy Gardner pressured the Luton striker too much in the D for the umpire's liking and the resultant short corner went between Dave Church's foot and Tom Wharton's stick on the right post.  Next week is the start of the league again, but more importantly, Thursday is a perfect opportunity to train and iron out those niggles that so told in this encounter.

Stevenage M3  2   Letchworth M3  4

The home side were unlikely to take anything from this game after going two goals behind but were lucky the arrears were not greater as Damien Nowopiski produced a great save to deny the visitors a third from the penalty spot. Chris Strickland reduced the deficit but Stevenage looked like a team returning from a long break as they conceded two further goals before Strickland scored his second.

Royston M3  0    Stevenage M4  2

A goal in each half capped a strong display. The 4s dominated early play but could find the break through. Until Shaw burst past two defenders before crossing for Dan Farnant to slot home from close range. The second half started with Royston on top and were denied an equalizer by two excellent saves from Tim Dingley. Stevenage got a grip on the game and added a second when Harry Wheeler picked up the ball in his own half and drove down the wing before cutting in to the D and finding a wide open Tom Woolley who slotted home. Another fine save from Tim late on preserved a clean sheet.

Stevenage M5  3   Stevenage M6  1

The long awaited inter-club league clash did not disappoint with a hard fought but sporting and well controlled match producing the right result and an enjoyable encounter. The 5s started well and early pressure, plus the pace of Zach Shaw, produced a goal for Captain Dave Wells. As the first half progressed the 6s, masterfully controlled from midfield by Digger Graves, gradually came to terms with their task and mounted attacks of their own but were relieved to get to the break just one goal behind. This deficit was eliminated by a penalty corner strike from Woolley early in the second half and the 6s looked good for a point after young keeper Daniel Dove did well not to get out of the way of Roger Hammond's penalty stroke. However Phil Hutchinson stopped a goal bound shot with his foot for the second time in the game and this time Zach Shaw made no mistake from the spot. Shaw put the result beyond doubt when he hit the roof of the net near the end.

Stevenage L1  1    Havering L1  6

Stevenage faced top of the league Havering and the score did not reflect the Stevenage performance. Havering had some well practised short corner routines and scored 3 goals that way but the play was end to end with Carly Seaton having a few chances from short corners but just couldn't get it past the keeper.

Jenny Harding made some goods saves to stop a very young Havering side. Kate Murray again creating many chances for herself. Debbie Church managed to score with two minutes to go with a consolation goal.

Aylesbury L2   4    Stevenage L2  1

The visitors started brightly and scored the first goal, struck home by Hannah Finch, but found themselves trailing by halftime. The tipping point in the game came early in the second half when Stevenage thought they had equalised when a penalty corner strike from Hannah Finch was deflected into the roof of the net be a defender's stick, but after discussion with his colleague the umpire's decision was changed and a goal not given. The visitors did not cope well with this reverse and a further two goals were conceded to take the game beyond them.

Hertford L3  1   Stevenage L3  1

The visitors were hoping for a win against lower placed opposition but their livelier forwards were unable to produce the final passes and strikes to kill off the opposition. Stevenage took the lead mid-way through the first half when Sam Franklin rounded off a period of sustained pressure and thought their lead had been extended later but the umpire thought otherwise, believing feet had been used in the build up. A facial injury to Emma Houlihan held up play for a long period in the second half - fortunately the cut did not require stitches - and shortly after that a defensive error set up a simple equaliser for the home side.

Stevenage L4 claimed 3 points when opposition Queenswood could not field a side.

Stevenage L5  0   Saffron Walden L6  6

Despite spirited and determined play against the top side in the division, the home side remain rooted to the bottom of the league without a point.


Stevenage M1  5  Wapping M1  2

Stevenage mens first X1 made a return to league action on Saturday against high flyers Witham who were second placed in division 2S.  Stevenage were in need of a good performance after falling in to the relegation zone before the New year.
Witham started off the stronger  and with more confidence as expected, playing the ball around the back waiting for the gaps to appear. It wasn’t long before that first gap did appear and after only four minutes Witham took the lead. A well worked move was finished off on the far post with a simple tap in for the Witham forward to give his side a 1-0 lead.
At this stage it looked as if Witham were going to make easy work of a strong Stevenage side, however the goal seemed to wake the home side up and the tempo of the game was increased by the workrate of the Stevenage side.  Jon Oliver and Gary Brown started to distribute the ball around the midfield with Blackburn and Mould making dangerous runs along the wide midfield positions. Ben Oliver then combined well with Graham Swinyard to win the home side a first short corner. Andy Blaxill dummied to shoot but slipped the ball to Danny Blackburn who fired the ball home to equalise for Stevenage in style.
Witham came back at Stevenage but the defence of Tim Wright,Matt Oliver and Blaxill stood firm and made some crucial challenges to protect Tim Dingley’s goal.  Swinyard then intercepted a Witham attack and ran down the left wing before finding Chris Strickland in acres of space. Strickland calmly slipped the ball to Ben Oliver who crossed for Gary Brown to make it 2-1 with a fine finish.  It was soon three when Blackburn picked up a loose ball in the midfield, his pass found Matt Oliver who in turn gave the ball to brother Ben, he drew the keeper and unselfishly picked out Chris Strickland who slotted home to make it 3-1.
Stevenage were well on top at this stage and skipper John Mould almost made it four with a fine strike after good work from Jon Oliver.  Witham had a good chance to make it 3-2 but a well worked short corner was well saved by Dingley.  Just before the break Brown put Ben Oliver away again he crossed for Danny Blackburn to fire home a fourth and his second of the day for a half time lead of 4-1.
In the second half the game opened up even more with both sides attacking this game was really end to end stuff.  Stevenage still looked the more likely to snatch more goals but Witham created a string of attacks themselves and if it hadn’t been for some great defending from the home midfield and defence Dingley’s goal could have been breached or threatened a little more.  Wright then cleared the ball to Danny Blackburn on the edge of his own penalty area , Blackburn then did a quick one two with Mike Oliver before running the rest of the pitch past a couple of defenders  on the way then  drawing the keeper finally sliding the ball home for his hat-trick and more importantly the home sides fifth goal of the day.   Jon Oliver was then sin-binned for a reckless challenge while Blackburn escaped any punishment for a crunching challenge on a Witham forward which could have easily got him his marching orders.  The game then started to get a little stretched and mistakes were being made.  Mike Oliver made some impressive runs and on one occasion hit the side netting with a good effort.  Gary Brown then mis hit a shot which went wide of a open goal after a great run and cross from John Mould.
Witham did get a goal back to make it 5-2 but Stevenage had some good chances to extend their lead with shots from Oliver,Swinyard and Blaxill from a short corner.
The game finished 5-2 to Moulds team who provided a very classy performance for their spectators and moved the side a couple of places up the table.  Next week Stevenage travel  to runaway league leaders Bedford Town.

Harpenden M2  2   Stevenage M2  2   

Stevenage 2s went away to play against top of the league Harpenden this week, who showed why they are leading the league at the halfway point with some impressive attacking play.  The resolute defense of Tom Shearn, Jason Miller, Michiel van Rooijen, Callum Matthews and 'keeper Dave Church meant that Harpenden could not find a way through with their early pressure.  Indeed, it was Stevenage who struck first when a poor ball from the Harpenden defence found it's way on to skipper James Hamilton's stick, who immediately hit it inch perfect to a waiting Chris Watson at the top of the "D".  Watson then shimmied past the last defender and calmly slotted it around the 'keeper.  Harpenden fought hard and managed to get back into the game in the last 30 seconds of the first half.

The second half saw the Reds take a different approach, challenging for every ball and giving no quarter.  However, a short corner given away meant the home side took another goal, much to the chagrine of Stevenage.  The visitors weren't going to take this lying down, so when the opportunity came, Matthews crossed the ball into the "D", via Watson, to allow Geoff Trew to strike the equaliser.  Some frenetic play in the closing stages saw chances fall to both sides, but in the end a draw was well won on both sides.

Stevenage M3  2    Winchmore Hill & Enfield M3  3

Have the wheels come off the M3 Bus? Probably not but with M2 edging ahead of them in the table on goal difference they need renewed effort in the second half of the season. Nick Crocker equalised an opener from the relegation threatened visitors then he put the home side ahead, but the team could not hold on to this advantage and had no complaints about the result.

Broxbourne M5  4    Stevenage M4  1

Belying their league position near the foot of the table the home side seemed to have some good quality players available to them in an early starting game and, despite a good strike from youngster Bailey Dingley giving the visitors the lead from a penalty corner, some exceptional finishing soon gave them a 3 - 1 half-time lead and an easy victory.

Luton M4  2     Stevenage M5  1

It would seem churlish to simply blame a pitch for Saturday’s performance away at Luton, but surprisingly the sparkling new astro caused more than its fair share of problems for Stevenage – the sponginess of the surface absorbed energy from both the ball and players legs, reducing the flow and pace of the game. Stevenage came out strongly in the first half, after numerous botched attempts on goal, Dave Wells was finally rewarded with a goal after the ball eventually trickled over the line within the first ten minutes. Stevenage dominated for the rest of the first half with some brave attempts from David Spicer and new player Neil Fatharly, but somehow just couldn’t find the mark. After half time, Luton showed a greatly improved playing style, taking advantage of the slow pitch conditions with some slick yet frustrating passing movements, eventually leading to a goal. Stevenage struggled to keep the ball on the ground, and after several failed attempts, Luton capitalised on a short corner.
Overall, not a bad performance from Stevenage, who were frustrated by a combination of tired legs and an energy sapping surface, but should still provide some hope for future performances on the more conventional (albeit sandy) home ground. Special mention should go to Sam Hobbs and Shane Parmar for coming back on after receiving injuries, and the Luton lad who stopped a second Wells goal with the back of his head, yet carried on playing.

Stevenage M6  4    West Herts 6  8

A strong visiting side soon took a three goal lead and looked capable of reaching double figures with ease but Alec Tompson, from the back, and Kevin Wharton and Richard McGavigan in attack, had other ideas. Wharton set up McGavigan for what could have been an early consolation goal but it inspired Stevenage to stand toe to toe and slog it out with their opponents. While West Herts were continuing to score at the other end, McGavigan set up Wharton for two super breakaway goals and Danny Hanslow added a fourth, following up Tompson's shot from the home side's only penalty corner, to give the scoreline an unexpected hint of respectability.

Stevenage L1  1    Blueharts L1  4

Stevenage had a good start with end to end play, Debbie Chruch had some great chances but just couldn't put them away, Blueharts had a break and scored. There was some great movement between Andrea Clarke and Jude Weston on the wing but the Blueharts goal keeper seemed unbeatable.

Second half Blueharts came out fighting and scored another Stevenage heads dropped and Blueharts then dominated the game. Lisa Pickard made some awesome saves but Blueharts breaks were just to fast, Stevenage picked it up but it was to late Kate Murray managed to get a consolation goal.

Stevenage L2  1    Shefford & Sandy L2 1

Stevenage needed a victory against a side just below them near the foot of the table but found the visiting keeper in superb form. The home side fell behind to a breakaway goal and had to look to Hannah Collard to equalise from the penalty spot.

Stevenage L3  2    St Albans L5  2

The home side missed out on the chance to join the pack fighting for promotion after leading twice in a bright, open and even game. First Annabelle Reilly was set up by Daisy Mould and then Ros Fewell scored a great solo goal, firing home after a mazy run, but the lowly placed visitors twice fought back.

Chess Valley L2  1    Stevenage L4  1

The visitors remain in 3rd place in the league despite missing out against relegation threatened opposition. The home side's opener was equalised by Genna Telfer.

Bedford L5  1    Stevenage L5  0

Marial Adeyeye's side are gradually getting closer but remain without a point this season despite another brave effort at Bedford.


Bedford M2 - 1   Stevenage M1 - 2

After beating second placed Witham last week Stevenage travelled to runaway league leaders Bedford Town on saturday full of confidence and with an unchanged side.
Stevenage started the brighter and almost took the lead when Matt Oliver crossed a pacy ball which Blackburn was unable to convert.  Bedford had some impressive results behind them this season but looked shaky at the back early on and were giving the visitors a lot of possession and chances. Jon Oliver was next to break through after combining well with brother Mike, this time however his shot went wide. Bedford did start to get into the game and began to pass the ball fluently all over the pitch, Stevenage defended all game with discipline and worked hard to keep Bedford at bay and on the occasions they did break through Dingley made some fine saves. Stevenage then took the lead when Mould set Ben Oliver free down the centre of the pitch, when he reached the penalty area he calmly slotted home past the advancing Bedford keeper to make it 1-0.  It was almost two a minute later when Mike Oliver had a good chance but hit it wide even though the better option could have been to square pass to an unmarked Chris Strickland who would have had an open goal at his disposal.
Bedford then started to stretch the visitors and created several great chances from which they were unable to capitalise. Blaxill and Swinyard made some vital challenges but were unable to do anything about Bedfords equaliser. A impressive solo run from the Bedford right winger who then slipped the ball for the centre forward to slot home and make it 1-1 at the break.
The second half was very open and both sides set out to take all three points by their attacking styles of play. The first real chance fell to Bedford from a penalty corner which Tim Wright cleared off the goalline. Then Stevenage won their own penalty corner from which Blackburn came close after a slip from Blaxill.  Mike Oliver was causing problems for the Bedford defence with his darting runs at pace creating chances for Mould, Strickland and Jon Oliver. The decisive goal came when Jon Oliver had a effort saved and Gary Brown fired in the rebound to give Stevenage a deserved 2-1 lead. Bedford then piled on the pressure but were unable to break through the resilience and hard work of a impressive Stevenage unit. Stevenage thought they had scored a third goal through Mike Oliver but the officials ruled it out after originally giving the goal. Bedford were reduced to ten men after having a player sin-binned for a over the top challenge on Mike Oliver. Both teams continued to battle hard and Bedford looked the likelier to score the next goal, however Stevenage held on to take the three points in arguably their best performance of the season and in a game where every player made their mark!.

Stevenage M2 -  4   Luton Vagrants M1 -  2

Michiel van Rooijen opened the scoring in an end to end game (mainly because Luton Vagrants only know how to hit long). A short corner pushed to James Hamilton lifted off the D marking and deflected to van Rooijen for him to smash it home. Mitch Snares then added a second from an extremely tight angle.

The second half saw Stevenage take their foot off the pedal, still scoring a third goal when Snares hit the mark again, picking up the ball from the third rebound off the keeper's pads. Vagrants made a valiant effort when the Stevenage midfield tired having chased the ball backwards and forwards for most of the game and decided to sit back a little, scoring a goal of their own. Chris Watson decided to enter the goal scoring, making it 4-1. Vagrants tried and succeeded in making it 4-2, but a resolute Stevenage side stopped them getting any further. This leaves the 2s just ahead of the 3s by one point and a hatful of goals to set it up nicely for two weeks time.

St Albans M5 -  0   Stevenage M3 -   3

We were never going to start well after we had a mad dash from St Albans to Potters Bar (as the skipper got the location wrong) and it took us about 15 mins to get into the game before we started to string some passes together and exert some pressure.  The first goal came a move that was started off by the very impressive Zach Shaw who cut out the ball  from a St Albans attack and moved it to Pinger, he then fed Tufty who shot on the turn beat the keeper with a lack of pace

The second goal came around the half hour mark after a sweeping move that led to the ball being hit across by Tufty for a diving finish from Niall.  St Albans finished the half the stronger but the defence held out with the normally reliable Dan Hanslow and Tony Farnan, plus Chris Perry looking very solid on his debut.

Second half saw us pick the pace up and put us in control for long periods of the game. Niall Anderson made it 3 – 0 with a well stuck shot that Zach set up for him. St Albans only threat of the game came from a well worked short corner that Damien saved well to keep them a bay.The new line up worked really well with an injection of pace up front we never really allowed them to settle. Selection is going to be interesting this week.

Stevenage M4 - 1   Luton M3 -  1

A much changed 4s side which included debut's for Paul Mould, Shane Parmar and Roger Hammond battled for an entertaining draw with luton. Despite early pressure from the home side Luton took the lead mid way through the half. Some good saves from the Luton goal keeper kept Ian Brown from equalising. The second half started with both side having good chances. But it was Stevenage who found the breakthrough with Simon Russell finding the bottom corner after a Ian Brown lay off.  The rest of the game was end to end as both teams went for the win but some great saves from both keepers meant the game ended in a deserved draw.

Stevenage M5 -  0  Cheshunt M3 - 2

Another disappointing result for Stevenage, who despite some well co-ordinated attacks and an all round solid performance, couldn’t find the mark. The game was more even than the score suggests, but Cheshunt had the edge with some flowing passing manoeuvres, eventually finding gaps in the already stretched defence. A frustrating result yet again, but if allowed some consistency in the lineup in the next few matches, Stevenage could still find their wheels and make a push for mid-table.

Phoenix L1 -  1   Stevenage L1 -  0

Stevenage had a good start with some great play between Carly Seaton, Jude Weston and Lucy Harvey, a lot of chances were created but Stevenage just couldn't put it in the net. With a lapse in defence Phoenix put the ball away to score.

Lisa Pickard kept stevenage in it with some super saves, Sasha Parker had a few chances to score but the Phoenix keeper was unbeatable, Stevenage kept the pressure up and stayed positive throughout but it wasn't enough, Hilary Siddall made a brilliant stop on the line in the last minute but final score was 1-0.

Saffron Walden L2 - 4     Stevenage L2 - 0

Visited Saffron Walden - a top of the table unbeaten team with an average of 6 goals a game, our ladies battled and kept the results to a loss of 4-0, looking at other teams in the leagues performance against this team, the score line was a very respectable outcome. With Keeper Nat Leach earning a well deserved POM.

Stevenage L3 - 3   Welwyn Garden City L3 - 1

Our ladies 3's currently in 5th place took on 3rd placed Welwyn at home, excellent team play and determination saw our ladies win 3-1.
Nicki Reynolds took the first goal in the first half sending a thunder bolt strike between the keepers feet and then the visitors managed to equalize at half time, but then 2 superb goals from Ros Fewell and Daisy Mould saw the visitors go back up the A1M with no points.

Stevenage L4 - 0   West Herts L4 - 7

Missing a few regular players the ladies 4s welcomed a very strong and well rehearsed West Herts, the defence battled to keep the ball out of the D and worked hard to keep it at 7-0.

Broxbourne L6  - 4   Stevenage L5  - 1

Were host to Broxbourne 6s at Nobel early on Saturday. The youthful visitors stayed on top for most of the game, but some excellent breaks from Liza Timpson and a late goal from Hayley Binge made the loss a little less sour.


Stevenage M1 - 4  Southend M1 - 1

Stevenage entertained the club that beat them 7 - 2 in October full of confidence after two fine victories in succession, but forced to make changes to their side and give a first team debut to veteran Tony Farnan, who started in an unfamiliar forward position.

With the home side understandably cautious all of the early pressure came from the visitors and this seemed likely to increase when Andy Blaxill left the action without a substitute to receive attention to a cut thumb. But skipper John Mould switched to sweeper, and looked threatening on raids through the middle of the pitch from this position, and Gary Brown opened the scoring for the home side while they were a man short. Back at 11 players Stevenage conceded an equaliser the visitors deserved and the game went to the break with the scores level and the game very much in the balance.

However it was a half-time tactical switch that seemed to tip the game in favour of the home side. Tony Farnan was pulled back to a midfield marking role, where he continued to impress, and this gave more freedom to Danny Blackburn, Ben Oliver and Mould. From the restart this line-up looked much more dangerous and a penalty corner resulted in a goal when Blaxill dummied a shot before slipping the ball to John Mould to score with a drag flick into the roof of the net.

With a combination of aggression and commitment in midfield Stevenage held on to this advantage for 15 minutes before Gary Brown found space to smash the ball in the bottom corner and extend it. Stevenage did not let up and continued to be the more committed side, with some challenges from Brown and Ben Oliver riling the visitors before Oliver scored a 4th with a shot to the top corner of the goal 10 minutes from time to kill the game as a contest.

A well merited run of three wins in three games in 2011 has lifted Stevenage from the relegation zone to within three points of the third place side in a very tight division. 


Berkhamsted M2 - 2   Stevenage M2 - 6

There's robust, there's Luton then there's Berko 2s.  In a game that at points were a precursor to the 6 Nations starting next week, Berko tried their hardest to injure a younger, quicker and, for the most part, smarter Stevenage side.  A frantic first five saw the away side under pressure from a physically dominant Berkhamstead side, but weathered the early onslaught well without the rock that is van Rooijen.  Stevenage opened the scoring on a short corner, with an attempted flick at goal by Hamilton being palmed down by the opposition 'keeper, only for Andy Gardner to mop up.  Again Berko pressured Stevenage and when young Stevie Hamid was pushed out of the way and a ball hit on to his foot, they got a short corner themselves.  The defence tried to get themselves ready for a short, but it was taken before they were prepared and the home side snuck a goal.  A few minutes later, another short to Berko saw a ball goal bound hit a Stevenage foot with a flick the result.  Dave Church went the right way, got a glove to the ball even, only to see it into his top left.  2-1 down and Stevenage were annoyed with themselves for not being stronger.  But then another short corner to Stevenage, another attempted shot at goal from Hamilton, a rebound up off the pads to Gardner, another ball in the back of the net.  Half time, 2-2.
The team talk went along the lines of "Play to our strengths, not theirs."  So it was that they did, with Dan Farnan making a fine run down the right hand side 10 seconds into the half.  It didn't go anywhere, but it signalled intent.  Wharton, Gardner, Hamid, Church and Matthews remained resolute in defence.  Hamilton, Holt and Trew mopped up loose balls in the middle.  Watson held up balls and played people through from the centre forward role.  Snares and Farnan ran their socks off.  It showed.  After a Berko player threatened young Hamid, the umpire had no choice but to let him calm down in the corner.  Stevenage upped the pressure.  Farnan missed a couple of chances, then scored a couple.  Holt stood on the back post, and when a ball came from Hamilton at the half way line to Watson, who cleverly reverse stick passed it to him, the score was 5-2.  It was wrapped up when an open play goal from man of the match Gardner started a move from left back and ran down the pitch to follow the passes, only to tuck it in on the right hand post. 
Stevenage deserved all the glory and got it.  A fine performance from all 11 men.

Stevenage M3 - 4   Bishops Stortford M5 - 1 (Match Abandoned)

This game at Nobel School was abandoned with 10 minutes to go due to floodlight failure.  The home team were leading 4-1 with a hat trick from Roger Barlow and a goal from Niall Anderson and victory was looking assured before play was stopped.

Letchworth M5 - 2   Stevenage M4 - 1

On the balance of play Letchworth were good value for the win. But a battling reformance by the 4s ended in heartbreak when the home side grabbed a last minute winner.  The game started with both sides have chances early on. However it was Letchworth who took the lead with a shot though a crowded circle. The second half started with Stevenage having to shuffle there pack after Tom Woolley and Simon Russell both picked up injuries. But with no subs, both players had to carry on. Letchworth continued to dominate possession but couldn't find a way past Tim Dingley and a dogged Stevenage defence including Ian Brown as am emergency right back. But with time running out Bailey Dingley had the back of the net with a well struck shot that left Swifty in the Letchworth goal with no chance. Just as it looked like the 4s had managed a draw. Letchworth found a winner from a broken short corner play. The 4s had no time to respond and  the game finished with Harry Wheeler, Bailey Dingley and Dave Berry all hobbling.

Stevenage M5 - 2   Bedford Town M5 - 2

A spirited attacking performance from Stevenage, who managed to find their passing rhythm against a 16 man Bedford squad on a chilly afternoon, pitchside temperatures hovering just a degree or two above freezing. As usual, Stevenage came out fighting from the start, and some of the best joined-up passing seen this season led to a surprising goal for captain Dave Wells in the first ten minutes, generously assisted by attacking central-midfielder David Spicer, who made this new position his own throughout the game. After several more coordinated attempts, Wells drew out the Bedford keeper and chipped the ball into the goal to bring the score at half time to 2-0. During the second half however, Stevenage’s wheels began to come off – on the positive side still attacking strongly, but not returning to defend quickly enough, leaving the back three exposed and outnumbered and Bedford capitalised on the use of their constant supply of fresh legs and a couple of short corners to equalise with two goals. Despite coming close on several occasions, Stevenage couldn’t break the deadlock in the last ten minutes – once again frustrating for the team, but grateful for the point against a team residing at the top end of the league.

Bedford Town Veterans - 12   Stevenage M6 - 0

The league leaders recorded a victory over their opponents by exactly the same margin as the meeting in Stevenage earlier this season, and the scoreline was a fair reflection of the superiority of a side packed with players experienced at the highest level over a team full only of heart and effort.

Stevenage L1 - 2  Hertford L1 - 1

This week was a battle of bottom of the table, Stevenage started well with a couple of near misses from Carly Seaton and Kate Murray. Stevenage kept up the good play with Jude Weston's super runs up the line and switch between Kate Murray and Sasha Parker to break the defence, Sasha managed to put the ball past the keeper. Hertford had few and far chances but nothing keeper Lisa Pickard couldn't handle. 2 minutes into the second half Sasha scored again with a great reverse stick shot, Hertford picked up the pace and got one back but Stevenage stayed solid and went away with 3 points.

Vauxhall Chiltern L1 - 3  Stevenage L2 - 2

A goal within the first 20 seconds by the home side put Stevenage on the back foot and they struggled to find their rhythm in the first half, conceding a second shortly after. They managed to pull back a goal through Hannah Finch only to concede a questionable 3rd before half time.
The second half was much better from Stevenage who pulled another goal back through Alfie Gunther, and they fought to the end but sadly could not find that the equaliser they probably deserved.

Harpenden L3 - 0  Stevenage L3 - 2

A great performance from the whole team who worked fantastically well to a well deserved win against 2nd placed Harpenden, with goals from Claire Wakefield and Sam Franklin. A great farewell game for Sam Franklin – scoring in her last game before she goes back to Uni. She will be missed. 
Stevenage L4 & L5 - Matches postponed due to frozen pitches

Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2017 Stevenage Hockey Club | Powered by mojoPortal | HTML 5 | CSS | Design by styleshout